This weekend we had our first beautiful day. It was 84 degrees, clear skies, sun and a light breeze. It was perfect and it sent me running to my closet. I have been looking through a lot of vintage photographs from St. Tropez. I love everything about the 60’s and the French Riviera. I also love how French women can stay cool with out sacrificing style or showing much skin. Sometimes I feel that in the Midwest, our shorts and dresses tend it get shorter as the heat climbs.
Here are a few tips for staying stylish during the summer:
- Linen: Obviously a summer fabric for good reason. Linen is breathable and airy, but at the same time it allows you to add a little structure.
- Skirts: Especially linen skirts. Denim is a little to suffocating for the heat for me.
- White: Practical but also very St. Tropez. This weekend I wore all white. I wore these shorts and this top and added this linen top to give a flowing and layered look.
- Espadrilles: I have had this pair for 2 years now and they do the job well. These shoes belong with very casual wear, on the weekend or near water. They also belong between Memorial Day and Labor day.
- Gold Jewelry: I love gold medallions. They scream French to me and are also really accessible right now. I have been wearing them on and off since I received my first one from my grandmother as a little girl. I also love a signet ring which is another ode to French culture. My number one rule to jewelry is restraint. A statement earring can be awesome, but I’m not a fan of bulky necklaces or bracelets. I much prefer to have something small that is real gold that something really cheap and blingy.
- Sunglasses: I love sunglasses and love to have fun with them. I recently splurged on a pair and am really happy with my decision. However, I typically don’t do that because I have a problem with losing them. The glitter just brightens up everything and it makes me feel playful.
- Basket/Wicker: There is nothing that says summer more than a basket or woven straw tote. In recent years they have become playful. I loved them but am not getting back to the classic wicker without a lot of extra. I found a Jane Birkin inspired basket on etsy that I can’t get enough of.
- Makeup: Less is more! First of all, go with the sunscreen, second find a light bb cream or foundation. I just discovered Guerlain Lingerie de Peau which is amazing! I have never loved a foundation more. I use a bare minerals powder on top if I need any extra coverage. Then a bare minerals lip ligner, a charlotte tilbury lipstick and a YSL gloss for my lips and then I dap it on my cheeks for a dewy blush. Little to no eye makeup. I might do a mascara, then I am good to go. Also, I have very dry skin so I use a Guerlain cream before. My secret is that it’s a night cream so a lot more moisturizing.
- I love when American items make it into French staples. These 501 jeans are just amazing.
Those are my tips! I hope you enjoy!